The skills, experience and time committed by Blind Sports & Recreation Victoria volunteers help to improve the lives of people who are blind or vision impaired across Victoria. We are always on the lookout for new volunteers – so why not call us now?
The benefits of becoming a volunteer
There are many benefits Blind Sports & Recreation Victoria volunteers gain through their experience, read on to find out more.
Meet new people and friends
Volunteering can help extend your social network and create new friendships, while helping others.
Learn new skills
Volunteering provides new experiences which might help increase your employability or simply give you the chance to do something new.
Become more active
Our volunteers can improve their health and well-being, while helping others to do so, as they get active and out and about in the community.
Ways you can help
You can become involved in a number of ways, some of these include:
- Regular walking buddy in your local area for a person who is blind or vision impaired by joining our ‘Walking with Willpower’ program
- Assist people with vision loss to participate in sport and recreation programs such as blind soccer, tennis, AFL, tandem cycling and more
- Helping at our programs for children and teens with vision loss
- Driving – volunteers play a vital role in transporting people with vision loss to and from sport and recreation activities
- Coordinating or coaching at blind sport and recreation programs
- Attending expos, exhibitions and other special events and representing Blind Sports & Recreation Victoria at those events
- Administration – assisting with data management, data entry and social media marketing
- Other skilled and unskilled volunteering opportunities.
- If you have a particular skill that you think Blind Sports & Recreation Victoria could benefit from, or you have an idea about how you could help us as a volunteer, then please get in touch! If you are interested in becoming a member of our voluntary Board and have experience and contacts in fundraising and marketing, please contact us.
Who can volunteer?
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age.
- All volunteers must undergo a national police check when registering with Blind Sports & Recreation Victoria. These checks will be undertaken by authorised staff and are free of charge. We also require volunteers to hold a current Working with Children check for certain programs. These checks will be renewed on expiry.
Volunteering with Blind Sports & Recreation Victoria can:
- Help you gain new experiences and learn new skills. These could help develop your CV, increase your employability or simply give you the chance to do something new and interesting
- Introduce you to a new range of people, helping extend your social networks and create new friendships
- Improve your health and well-being, as you get active and out and about in the community
- Provide a sense of meaning and purpose to your life by helping others and doing something important
- Help you enjoy a more satisfying retirement, as you maintain an inspiring role in the community
How we support you:
Blind Sports & Recreation Victoria is grateful for any help you can give to us as a volunteer, but there’s also a lot we can offer you. Whether you’re coaching at one of our programs, working in our office or embedding a program in a new club, volunteering with us can be fun and extremely rewarding.
All volunteers are given an induction to the organisation and our programs before you start. You will also be trained in working with, guiding and communicating with people who are blind and vision impaired.
At Blind Sports & Recreation Victoria you will always have a member of staff who is directly responsible for you. This person will offer you ongoing support, so you can make the most of your time with us as a volunteer. This support may take the form of telephone calls and/or one-on-one meetings.
We want you to feel welcome and part of our team!
Interested in volunteering?
Browse our current volunteer opportunities by scrolling down on our 'News and Events' page.
Complete your details below and we will be in touch with you shortly. Thank you for your interest.
Share on your own social profile